GFCF Recipes

GFCF Recipes

2.11.2006

Fake bacon

That's right. Fake bacon. Believe it or not there is a way to cook fake bacon and your kids will like it. And, you'll save money in the process. I should start by telling you why I did this. Between my two daughters -- ages 4 and 2 -- they're allergic/intolerant to gluten, dairy (casein), rice, cabbage family, peas, beans, soy, corn, tomatoes, chocolate, pineapple and a few others. We limit the bad stuff too -- like preservatives, hormones, etc. And, bacon can cost more than $4 a pound, especially the healthier brands, like Applegate Farms. So, I buy kosher hot dogs -- Best's Kosher does not have soy (Hebrew National does). And, I buy it in bulk at a local restaurant supply store in our city's wholesale district. I'll bet your city has one too. So, I get the hot dogs at about half price of retail (about $2 a pack rather than $4). So, take a hot dog, slice it down the middle lengthwise. With each slice, slice it again lengthwise about 3-4 times, making long slivers of hot dog. Bunch them together and then cut them up into small diced pieces, like bacon bits. Toss them in a pan to cook for a few minutes. There -- bacon pieces. I add diced potato that's already been cooked and salted. I call it "bacon taties." They eat it for breakfast a couple of times a week. I know -- the recipe is overly simple. But, finding things for my kids to eat that they actually like is tricky. I know you know what I mean.

No comments: