GFCF Recipes

GFCF Recipes

11.24.2008

GFCF Scalloped potatoes

I love potatoes -- all types. And, I sorta miss having scalloped potatoes since we've become mostly a GFCF household. Being soy-free also doesn't make subbing dairy any easier. I've tried to develop scalloped potato recipes a few times but failed. Getting the right flavor and texture is vital to this recipe. Finally, I've come up with a recipe that's pretty darn good. It's something I can live with. And, my kids like it too. I did this in the crock pot, but I'm sure you can adapt to the oven.

Ingredients
--------------
Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
Dairy free margarine or ghee -- I used Spectrum shortening
Sea salt
Black pepper
GF tapioca flour (I think potato starch, corn starch would work too)
GF chickpea flour (I think potato flour, rice flour, etc. would work too -- anything that's a fine flour and not grainy)
Garlic powder
Dairy free milk -- I used Vance's DariFree.
Water
Corn starch (I think tapioca or potato starch would work too)

I use a big crock pot, so adapt if yours is smaller. But, I started by peeling and slicing the potatoes. I did two average sized potatoes at a time. Then I layered the slices of those two potatoes on the bottom of the crok pot.
Then, I sprinkled a dash of salt and a pinch of pepper over top of the layer.
I then sprinkled 1 tbsp of the tapioca flour over the layer and then 1 tbsp of the chickpea flour over the layer.
Then, I plopped about 4 small dabs of the shortening (or margarine) in various places over the layer -- they were about 1/2 tsp each.
Then, I repeated this process by adding another layer of potatoes over top -- about two potatoes. Then, the seasoning, flours and shortening.
I did this with about 4-5 layers of potatoes.
When done, I poured 1 cup of DariFree milk over top and then 1 cup of water over top.
I turned the crock pot setting to high and let it go for four hours.
After 2 hours, I turned over the top layer of potatoes to ensure they didn't dry out. I did this again after the 3rd hour.
After the 3rd hour, I test tasted. I found that the DariFree taste was coming thru too much and not enough of the seasoning I had put in. So, I added another dose of salt and pepper and a couple dashes of garlic powder. You can skip this if you don't like garlic. It was enough to flavor but not overwhelm.
That's it. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

This looks yummy. Thanks for posting it.