GFCF Recipes

GFCF Recipes

12.10.2008

Cream soup -- GFCF & soy-free too!

I don't know where it came from, but my oldest daughter (7) not too long ago asked me to make cream soup for her. I don't think she'd ever had cream soup. And, us adults don't really make cream soup. So, it was one of those out-of-left-field moments. But, it was enough of a challenge to get me thinking of how to do it. As many of you know, we're not just GFCF, we're also soy-free. So, it's not like we can just jog down to the store and buy some. Anyway, I found a recipe and tinkered with it a little bit and I think it was successful. My daughter loved it and ate cream of chicken soup for two days. I'm not opposed to variety! I also did one better, I made it in the crock pot over the weekend. So, I dumped the food in the pot, turned it on, and left it all afternoon. I love 'easy' too.

So, here's what I did. You might tinker more with the "cream" ingredients to fit your family's diet needs and preferences. For example, I used DariFree and corn starch. You might prefer rice milk or almond milk. And, you might avoid corn, so try potato starch or tapioca.

1 onion, chopped into chunks
sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
About 2-3 pounds of chicken -- any kind you prefer (I used bone-in breasts with the skin removed and later, pulled the meat off and diced it into small pieces)
2-3 garlic pieces, crushed
5 1/2 cups of water
CF milk (I used DariFree -- I plan to try this with rice milk)
Corn starch -- GF of course

Place all ingredients, except the CF milk and corn starch in the slow cooker. Cook for four hours on high or 8-9 hours on low. Either way, I usually start the first hour on high.

When near-done, pull chicken out and cool. Remove meat from bones. I diced the meat into small pieces and put it back in the cooker.

Before serving, I pulled out the onions, since my kids won't eat them.

Now, to make the cream soup. I took about 2 cup servings and poured them from the crok into a small stove-top pot. I turned the heat onto low-medium.

In a small bowl, I put 1 tbsp of the corn starch and 2 tbsp of cold water and mixed with a fork until runny. I poured this into the pot and stirred.

Watch as this will thicken the soup quickly.

Once thickened, I poured about 1/4 cup of the CF milk into the mix and heated another minute or two.

The end result was a tasty chicken soup, thickened by the starch and "whitened" by the milk. Perfect.

Give it a shot.

A couple of notes ...

- first, this of course is easy to freeze too. If you like the basic soup in the crok, freeze it in portions, like in ice cube trays, for example.

- second, if you don't remove the skins, you'll need to take the added step of cooling the broth and removing some of the fat.

- last, if your child likes certain foods, this is a great way to get them in. Carrots, celery, mushrooms, potatoes, rice, etc. You can make just about cream of anything.

4 comments:

Angela's Kitchen said...

Sounds great! We make "cream" soup with coconut milk also (like in the wild rice chicken soup we make). It is really creamy.

I love the stuff our kids ask us to make - I think it is always such a fun challenge! They always come up with things I wouldn't have thought of making before...

Amy Dumas said...

Oh, I am definitely going to have to try the cream of chicken soup. I love cooking in the crock pot and my whole family loves cream of chicken soup. I haven't had any since sometime prior to last July when I started the Elimination Diet and subsequently learned I am reactive to soy and dairy. So, THANK YOU for posting this recipe!!!

Katoolus said...

Thank you so much for this recipe. We're just starting out on the GFCF diet and we have a favorite family casserole that calls for cream of chicken soup. This recipe will make it possible for us to try the old recipe in a new way. Thanks!

shyanelle's said...

do you have your comment from 14th january i did not read it could you print it for me if you have it